I hear it often, you want your dog in the session but you’re worried they won’t cooperate. I totally get that worry, I have two dogs of my own. That said, I’ve also photographed enough dogs to know that we can successfully include them in your session!
If you are thinking about including your dog in your session, I say go for it! Here are some tips to help you do so confidently!
- Bring someone along who can keep them happy and occupied when they aren’t sharing your spotlight. If you have a dog who doesn’t tolerate much activity, this person can also take the dog home or to hang by the car after their turn in front of the camera is over.
- If they are food motivated, bring plenty of treats to keep them engaged and eager to look at the camera. You could also bring along a favorite toy, the squeakier the better!
- Do you have a dog who isn’t fond of other people or animals? Let me know in advance so I can be sure the location where we’ll be shooting won’t be too busy.
- Bring along some water and a bowl. We don’t want anyone getting dehydrated!
- Relax and have fun! You don’t need to worry about making sure your dog is looking my way, I’ll take care of that for the posed shots (proof below!). Just play, cuddle, and love on your dog and enjoy having them a part of the shoot!